Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's another chilled soup from *The Carnival Experience* cookbook by Peter Leypold (Exec Chef of Carnival Cruise Lines) that I did not try, but it is both unusual & intriguing. Although we don't really have any of them here in Iceland, doesn't this look like it would be perfect on a hot summer evening? (Times were not given, have been estimated & the chill time is not included as it may vary according to your needs) *Enjoy* !
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup celery (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 3 apples (peeled, cored and diced)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup apple (chopped just prior to serving)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook till softened. Add diced apples and cook till fork tender.
- Stir in curry powder and turmeric. Add chicken stock and bring mixture a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer till mixture is reduced by half. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and allow mixture to cool.
- Puree in blender or food processor and strain mixture. Stir in cream, season with salt & pepper to taste. Chill several hours.
- When ready to serve, stir well and divide among 6 soup bowls. Garnish with 2 tbsp apple pieces chopped just ahead of service so they are fresh; serve immediately.
We liked this but the only thing is the apple flavour got a little lost, especially with reducing the soup. Next time, I think I'll use half chicken stock, half apple juice to up the apple-ness and double the spices as they got a little lost too. Thanks for a new summer appy! Made for ZWT 8