Recipe by zeldaz51
A nice contrast in flavors. You could also use a store-bought salsa or make it milder or hotter to suit your taste. From "Diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 milk, 1/4 fat.
- 5 cups peeled cubed cucumbers
- 1 cup chicken or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, pieces green part only, cut in one-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, wedges
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded (unseeded if you like it spicier)
- 1 tablespoon sliced scallion (White and light green parts)
- 1 tablespoon fresh limes or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cucumber through garlic in a blender or food processor, process until smooth. Stir in the buttermilk and salt to taste. Chill at least 1 hour, remembering to taste for seasoning before serving.
- Salsa: Place all salsa ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls, topped with dollops of the salsa.