Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
this has wonderful spices to perk up boring/bland cucumbers...
Make and share this Chilled Cucumber Soup With Avocado Toast from the New York Times recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 cups buttermilk (or use 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt plus 1/4 cup water)
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 2 small whole scallions, trimmed
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup packed mixed fresh herbs (like mint, parsley, dill, tarragon, basil and cilantro)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sherry wine or 1⁄2 teaspoon white wine vinegar, more to taste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher sea salt, plus more to taste
- 4 slices baguette or 4 slices other bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup spitiko extra virgin olive oil, for serving
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ear of corn, shucked, kernels sliced off
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 bunch fresh dill, for serving
- 1. In the bowl of a blender or food processor, combine cucumber, buttermilk, garlic, anchovy, scallions, jalapeño, fresh herbs, sherry vinegar and salt. Blend until smooth and adjust seasoning as needed.
- 2. Smash avocado slices on the toasted bread. Sprinkle with crumbled feta, squeeze the juice of the lemon half over the top and finish each with a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- 3. Distribute soup between 4 bowls and garnish with raw corn kernels, toasted pine nuts and/or red onion ~ and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve avocado toast on the side.