Recipe by Heirloom Tomato
Cool, refreshing, easy! I use non-fat yogurt and low-fat cottage cheese, but any will do.
Top Review by l'ecole
Not the usual (buttermilk) take on cuke soup, what with the cottage cheese, lemon juice/zest, chicken broth, and spring onions. Really tasty, and with a different consistency (more mouth feel?) as well. DH liked it too, and we served it with a salad of baby bok choy, beans from our garden, mushrooms, prosciutto, and provolone, dressed with oil, wine vinegar and a dollop of parmesan. Part of my continuing effort to keep from turning the stove/oven on in this unusually hot weather.
- 1 English cucumbers or 2 regular cucumbers, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion, white and green
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- kosher salt and pepper (start with 1/4 teaspoon of each)
- 4 tablespoons finely diced sweet red peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- Put everything except the red pepper dice into a blender container and puree until smooth.
- Chill at least one hour.
- Serve topped with red pepper dice.
- Variation: Use about 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves instead of the green onion.
- Makes 2 generous or 4 small servings.