Recipe by Queen of Everything
A different use for your Vidalias, Walla Wallas or Mauis or other favorite sweet onion. I believe I got his recipe out of a newspaper.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 lbs sweet onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- freshly grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, heavy soup pot, melt butter over low heat.
- Add onions all at once.
- Cover and cook, stirring frequently until onions are transluscent and just to the point of carmelizing (do not let them brown)-this process should take 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, wine, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until onions are very soft, 20-30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Puree onions with the liquid.
- Stir mixture through a medium-mesh sieve, if desired.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Add creama nd sour cream just before serving.
- Garnish with nutmeg.