Recipe by SmilinJenE
Cook time is chill time. This is a good make-ahead summer soup that is cool and refreshing - especially for those hot Florida summers. Even those that don't care for cold soup usually enjoy this!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 lbs cucumbers, peeled
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup quick cooking farina
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Slice 1/3 cup cucumbers; refrigerate.
- Chop the remaining cucumbers and add to onion mixture.
- Add the broth, dill, vinegar, and salt; bring to a boil.
- Gradually add farina, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, process soup in batches until pureed.
- Pour into a container; refrigerate until chilled (about 4 hours).
- Just before serving, whisk in 1/2 c. sour cream
- Garnish each serving with reserved cucumber slices and 1 T sour cream.