Prep 3 mins
Cook 7 mins
This recipe comes from the 2004 cookbook, The Joy of Cranberries: The Tangy Red Treat, that I received from my first cookbook swap partner in Zaar! Preparation time does not include the more than 4 hours needed to cool & chill the soup before serving.
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, minced
- 1⁄8 cup sour cream
- In a r4-quart sucepan, mix water, sugar, cinnamon sticks & cloves.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then add cranberries & return to a boil.
- Reduce heat & cook until cranberries pop, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat & stir in lemon juice & orange zest.
- Cool to room temperature, then chill about 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, top each bowl of soup with a dollop of sour cream.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
I have leftover frozen cranberries from the holidays although it states to use fresh the frozen seemed to work fine, this tastes like cranberry sauce only in the form of a soup, loved it thanks for sharing Syd!
What a wonderful blend of flavours! And a fantastic recipe for really hot weather - both to make and to enjoy. Minimal effort and so, so delicious. I was unable to get hold of fresh cranberries so used frozen cranberries and I used my favourite creamy Greek yoghurt on top. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, Sydney! Made for PRMR.