Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Jane Milton's Recipe includes, milk, coconut milk, shredded dry coconut, white pepper and cilantro.
Make and share this Chilled Coconut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Pour the milk in to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir in the coconut, lower the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into a food processor and process until smooth. This may take a while--up to 5 minutes--so pause frequently and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Rinse the pan to remove any coconut that remains, pour in the processed mixture and add the coconut milk.
- Stir in the chicken stock (homemade if possible) cream, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally then lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reserve a few cilantro leaves to garnish, then chop the rest finely and stir into the soup.
- Pour the soup into a large bowl, let it cool, then cover and put into the refrigerator until chilled.
- Just before serving taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as chilling will alter the taste.
- Serve in chilled bowls, garnished with cilantro leaves.
Wow, definitely worth the extra effort Alaina. What an amazing chilled soup, the flavor is beautiful, soft and subtle with a sweet undertone and a lovey savoriness from the white pepper and cilantro. Sooo good, it was smooth and silky with a little heat and spice, just wonderful chilled. Thanks so much for sharing this treasure, which has gone into my Favorites Cookbook for 2012. Kudos. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT8 - Mexico.