Recipe by WI Cheesehead
From eatnourishing.com. This is great warm or cold, with only a little sweetener.
- 1⁄2 cup small pearl tapioca
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup sucanat
- 1 cup chopped strawberry (frozen or fresh)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered stevia
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- raw whipped cream (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Briefly pulse the tapioca in a blender or coffee grinder until broken into smaller pieces (optional). Soak tapioca in hot water, in a pan, for a few minutes, while you chop the strawberries and assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- Add strawberries, sucanat, cocoa powder, salt and milk to the pan with the tapioca and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Separate eggs, slowly add in a bit of the hot tapioca to the egg yolks to temper then add back to the pan, turning off heat.
- Whip egg whites until glossy, then fold into tapioca with stevia and vanilla.
- Let cool completely before transferring to refrigerator to set.