Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This summer recipe came to me via the pages of food and wine magazine
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 lbs carrots, sliced
- 4 quarter-size slices of peeled fresh ginger
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and fresh ground white pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and ginger and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 cups of the stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the carrots are tender, about 25 minutes.
- 2. Strain the cooking liquid into a heatproof bowl. Discard the ginger. In a blender, puree the vegetables with 1 cup of the cooking liquid until smooth. Stir the puree into the cooking liquid in the bowl and add the lemon juice, honey and remaining 1/2 cup of stock. Refrigerate until chilled or for up to 1 day. Season the soup with salt, pepper and hot sauce and serve garnished with cilantro leaves.