Prep3 hrs 30 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tours: A chilled soup for those sultry summer evenings. Please note that if using frozen peas then the amount required will be half that of the fresh peas. Vegetable stock can be substituted for the chicken stock if a vegetarian version is required. Cook time INCLUDES chilling time. REGION: France.
- Shell the fresh peas.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and gently saute the onion until it is soft but not brown.
- Remove the onion mixture from the heat and mix in the milk, stock, peas, 2-3 mint sprigs, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, Stirring regularly (if using frozen peas add them now, straight from frozen, no need to thaw them first).
- Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes or until the peas are really tender. Let it cool just a little bit, then purée the mixture using a food processor , blender or by rubbing though a fine sieve.
- Add fresh cream to the purée, mix well and then chill for 2 hours.
- Serve chilled, garnished with sprigs of fresh mint.
When I first saw the word 'canned' in the title of this recipe, I thought, "No way am I using canned peas in this!" And then, alas, no way did I have to! Used frozen peas this time around, & used the suggested vegetable stock since I was serving it to a couple of vegetarians! I enjoyed the taste of this chilled soup ~ A nice change from the usual soup! Thanks for another GREAT recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]