Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The South African waters are rich in kingklip, snoek, red roman, hake, cod, pilchards, sole, to name but a few. Other delicacies from the sea include abalone, oysters, mussels, calamari, shrimps and crayfish (a clawless lobster). This following Rec is,t really Traditional but it is delicious and wonderful for a dinner Party.
- 3 lbs baby calamari, sliced
- 1 teaspoon medium-strength curry powder
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 4 tablespoons cream
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, peeled
- sea salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- freshly milled black pepper
- 2 lemon leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely curled tops
- 1 cup cucumber, cut into crescents
- Combine white wine, boiling water, dill, celery, garlic, mustard seed and lemon leaves.
- Bring to the boil uncovered.
- Add calamari and cucumber crescents, cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat immediately and strain.
- (The calamari needs the minimum of cooking).
- Cook curry powder and chilli flakes together in a non-stick pan for 1-2 minutes, remove.
- Mix yoghurt, curry powder, chilli flakes, cream and olive oil together.
- Toss with calamari and cucumber, season to taste and top with curled spring onions.