Recipe by Lise P.
This is my twist on a traditional Lebanese salad called Mafroukeh or Mafrouket Labban. I've added tomatoes & cucumbers to the bulgar and kefir and seasonings to the yogurt the night before to make it creamier and more flavorful. This is a great hot weather dish.
- 1 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup plain kefir
- 1 cucumber, seeded and divided in half
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cilantro (parsley can be sub'd)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, finely diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- zest from 1/2 lime
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, I prefer smoked salt
- 1 half to full container mixed grape tomatoes, per preference
Directions See How It's Made
- This tastes best when you mix the yogurt dressing the night before so the flavors have a chance to meld before adding the bulgar.
- Grate half the seeded cucumber into the yogurt and kefir. You can peel it if that is your preference.
- Finely dice green onions, white and green parts. Finely chiffonade the cilantro. Smash & finely mince the garlic. Add all 3 to yogurt/kefir.
- Zest half a lime then cut it in half and juice it over the yogurt. Add salt & pepper to the yogurt/kefir mix.
- Mix all the ingredients for the yogurt/kefir mix together and adjust salt & pepper if needed. *Let this sit covered in your fridge overnight* or for a few hours before adding to the bulgar.
- Mix the yogurt/kefir dressing into the uncooked bulgar. The bulgar will be hard at this point. Store covered in your refrigerator.
- The bulgar MUST sit in the yogurt/kefir dressing for at least FOUR HOURS in order to absorb it and soften up since it is uncooked.
- Dice the remaining half of cucumber and quarter or half the tomatoes and stir in at around the 3 hour point of letting the bulgar and yogurt/kefir dressing absorb. If it looks extremely dry at this point you could whisk together a little more yogurt and kefir then mix inches.
- After 4 hours in the fridge test to confirm bulgar has softened. You can garnish with cilantro and a splash of good quality extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy!