Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
Posted for ZWT II - Russia/Eastern Europe Recipe taken from "Bon Appetit Tastes of the World"
- 4 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb beet, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- sour cream
- Combine 4 cups broth, beets, onion, carrot and garlic in medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree in blender in batches until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Thin with additional broth if soup is too thick.
- Mix in sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- (Can be prepared 2 days ahead, keep refrigerated).
- Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with dill and chives. Top with sour cream.