Recipe by Mercy
Cooking time is actually the chilling time. This can be made up to two days before serving.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- sliced beet, with liquid
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over low heat.
- Add carrots and onion.
- Cover; cook over medium low heat until vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar, cover and cook until vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes longer, or until the vinegar has reduced. Working in batches, add beets with their liquid, honey, and carrot mixture to blender; puree.
- Transfer to a large bowl, mix in the buttermilk and season with salt and pepper.
- Chill until cold, about 3 hours.
- To serve, ladle into bowls or mugs and top with chopped chives and sour cream.