Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted From the Simpson House Inn Bed and Breakfast in Santa Barbara, California. This is a fairly rich soup so you may want to reduce the serving size. I reduced the recipe to a single serving and used my immersion blender.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cream sherry
- 3 large ripe avocados
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sour cream, for garnish
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- Combine broth and onion in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Cool mixture, then puree in a blender.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Puree sherry and avocados in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in whipping cream.
- Whisk avocado mixture into onion mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a cilantro sprig.