I never realized how spoiled I was growing up with a large avocado tree in our backyard in sunny Southern California. Here in Oregon I am forced to buy avocados from the supermarket. Oh, the humility! Nothing compares to the buttery, rich flavor of fresh avocados-NOTHING! Slightly adapted recipe from Nava Atlas' Regional Recipes for the Vegetarian Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large ripe Hass avocadoes
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk (or regular milk)
- 1/2 lime, juice of (or lemon)
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced thinly, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 elephant garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 green jalapeno pepper, finely minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1Peel and pit the avocados. To avoid browning, place the avocados in a mixing bowl and immediately mash them with 1/2 cup of the buttermilk and the lemon juice until avocados are smooth.
- 2Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl except the garnishes and mix well. At this point, you can *puree the soup or not, your choice.
- 3Cover the soup well and chill at least 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- 4Before serving, cut the tortillas into 1/2" x 2" strips and lightly toast in a hot cast iron skillet until they are crisp. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- 5Taste and adjust the seasonings in the soup. *If the soup is too thick for your liking, thin using a little bit of vegetable broth until you have the desired consistency.
- 6For each helping, serve soup garnished with the tortilla strips, dash of paprika, sliced scallions, cilantro, mint and diced tomatoes.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilled Avocado Soup
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.4
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 187.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 9.2 g