Recipe by melting pot
By Brigitte Hafner. "In this Middle Eastern Treat, ground almonds are cooked with sugar and milk, then finished with honey syrup and orange blossom water." Orange blossom water should be available from delis.
- 750 ml milk
- 100 g rice flour
- 40 g almond meal
- 80 g caster sugar
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split in half
- 150 ml plain yogurt
- 1 lime, juice of
- 150 ml honey
- 50 ml water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom water
Directions See How It's Made
- For the syrup: Combine all the ingredients except the orange blossom water in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Whisk the milk with the rice flour, almond meal and sugar until combined and pour into a heavy-based pot. Add vanilla bean.
- Gently heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook, stirring for a couple of minutes. The mixture should be thick but of a pouring consistency - add more milk if the mixture has become too thick.
- Remove and discard the vanilla bean. Stir in the yogurt and lime juice.
- Pour the mixture into little serving bowls and refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, pour the syrup over.