Recipe by Babs in Toyland
This soup has lots of veggies and is low in fat but very tasty. I got this recipe from Top Secret Recipes website. Yum! From www.TopSecretRecipes.com
Top Review by COOKGIRl
This was good and easy especially since I usually have all these ingredients on hand. The big change for me was preparing the soup in a crock pot. I placed all the ingredients in the crock pot and set to LOW. Skipped the canned chilies but served fresh sliced jalapenos on the side. Now that Chilis has discontinued this soup and their vegetarian quesadilla (with the smoked cheese and artichoke hearts, etc.) there's really no reason to go back. Luckily, we have the recipe right here at our virtual back door. Thanks for posting. Reviewed for Best of 2010.
- 6 cups chicken broth (Swanson is best)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dark red kidney beans or 1 cup black beans, with liquid
- 1 cup yellow frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup diced Spanish onion
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, blend
- 1 cup crumbled corn tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the soup ingredients in a large saucepan or soup pot over high heat. Be sure to mince the corn tortillas into small pieces with a sharp knife before adding them to the soup.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the soup has thickened and tortilla pieces have mostly dissolved.
- To serve soup ladle 1 1/2 cups into a bowl. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the grated cheese over the top of the soup and then a heaping tablespoon of crumbled tortilla chips over the cheese.