This soup has lots of veggies and is low in fat but very tasty. I got this recipe from Top Secret Recipes website. Yum! From www.TopSecretRecipes.com
- 6 cups chicken broth (Swanson is best)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dark red kidney beans or 1 cup black beans, with liquid
- 1 cup yellow frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup diced Spanish onion
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese, blend
- 1 cup crumbled corn tortilla chips
- Combine all the soup ingredients in a large saucepan or soup pot over high heat. Be sure to mince the corn tortillas into small pieces with a sharp knife before adding them to the soup.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the soup has thickened and tortilla pieces have mostly dissolved.
- To serve soup ladle 1 1/2 cups into a bowl. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the grated cheese over the top of the soup and then a heaping tablespoon of crumbled tortilla chips over the cheese.