Recipe by Winterstar
This recipe came from Top Secret Restaurant Recipes by Todd Wilbur. www.TopSecretRecipes.com Fajitas are Southwestern grilled chicken, beef or seafood served in a warm tortilla. Everyone has their own way of creating a fajita, the challenge is rolling it up so you can take a bite. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to create enough for your family.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 3 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash onion powder
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves or 1 lb top sirloin steaks or 1 lb a combination of 1 boneless chicken breast and 1/2 pound top sirloin steak
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 dash salt
On the side
- 1⁄2 cup pico de gallo
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup guacamole
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 6 flour tortillas, 6-inch
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl. Soak your choice of meat in the marinade for at least 2 hours. If you are using the sirloin, let it marinate overnight, if possible.
- 2. When the meat has marinated, preheat your barbecue or stove top grill to high.
- 3. Preheat a skillet over medium/high heat. Saute the onion slices in the oil for 5 minutes. Combine the soy sauce, water, and lime juice in a small bowl and pour it over the onions. Add the black pepper and continue to saute untill the onions are tanslucent and dark on the edges (4 to 5 more minutes). Salt to taste.
- 4. While the onions are sauteing, grill the meat for 4 to 5 minutes per side until done.
- 5. While the meat and onions are cooking, heat up another skillet (cast iron if you have one) over high heat. This will be your sizzle serving pan.
- 6. When the meat is done remove it from the grill and slice it into this strips.
- 7. Remove the extra pan from the heat and dump the onions and any liquid into it. If you've made it hot enought the onions should sizzle. Add the meat to the pan and serve immediately with pico de gallo, Ceddar cheese, sour cream and sour cream arranged on a seperate plate on a bed of shredded lettuce. Steam the tortillas in a moist towel in the microwave for 30 seconds and serve on the side. Serve salso also, if desired.
- Tidbits: At Chili's, bell peppers are optional with the dish. If you like peppers, combine a small slice of green or red bell pepper with the onion, and saute the vegetables together. Follow the rest of steps as described.