Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe may be halved. Masa Harina is a type of corn flour. It is found at most grocery stores in the flour section. From Copykat.com (http://www.copykat.com)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chicken base
- 3 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2-2 cup masa harina (Note -- Depending on how you like your soup, 1/2 c makes a thinner soup while 2 c makes a thicker so)
- 4 quarts water (divided)
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb processed American cheese, cut in small cubes
- 3 lbs cubed cooked chicken
- In large pot, place oil, chicken base, onion and spices.
- Sauté until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes.
- In another container, combine Masa Harina with 1 quart water.
- Stir until all lumps dissolve.
- Add to sautéed onions and bring to boil.
- Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- This will eliminate any raw taste from Masa Harina.
- Add remaining 3 quarts water to pot.
- Add tomatoes; let mixture return to boil stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese to soup.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until cheese melts.
- Add chicken; heat through.
I Personally thought this was awesome regaurdless of how "chili's" tastes. I halved everything and added a little more of this or that depending on my own tastes, so people YOU can do that too. I did add 1 can of corn and 1 can of black beans and a small can of red enchilada sauce. Thanks QT!!
This soup was wonderful. watch the directions carefully if you half it. the ingredients only change in the list not in the directions!! can't wait to make it again.
I loved this soup- it was one of the few listed that did not need enchilada sauce to be made and it had a better taste because of it!! Added shredded cheddar instead also-- a real keeper thanks!!