Recipe by JustaQT
This recipe may be halved. Masa Harina is a type of corn flour. It is found at most grocery stores in the flour section. From Copykat.com (http://www.copykat.com)
Top Review by Chef GreanEyes
I Personally thought this was awesome regaurdless of how "chili's" tastes. I halved everything and added a little more of this or that depending on my own tastes, so people YOU can do that too. I did add 1 can of corn and 1 can of black beans and a small can of red enchilada sauce. Thanks QT!!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chicken base
- 3 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2-2 cup masa harina (Note -- Depending on how you like your soup, 1/2 c makes a thinner soup while 2 c makes a thicker so)
- 4 quarts water (divided)
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb processed American cheese, cut in small cubes
- 3 lbs cubed cooked chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, place oil, chicken base, onion and spices.
- Sauté until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes.
- In another container, combine Masa Harina with 1 quart water.
- Stir until all lumps dissolve.
- Add to sautéed onions and bring to boil.
- Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- This will eliminate any raw taste from Masa Harina.
- Add remaining 3 quarts water to pot.
- Add tomatoes; let mixture return to boil stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese to soup.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until cheese melts.
- Add chicken; heat through.