Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Years ago while in college, I worked at a Chili's restaurant. This soup was my absolute favorite! Chili's no longer offers this soup; however, with this recipe I can enjoy this incredible soup at home.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup diced yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup diced carrot, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 lb diced cooked chicken
- Melt margarine in large heavy pot. Add vegetables and sauté until tender over medium-low heat.
- Slowly sift flour over vegetables and let cook briefly, stirring regularly. Do not let flour brown.
- Slowly add chicken broth to vegetable-flour mixture, stirring constantly. Add herbs, pepper sauce and parsley and stir well. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in half-and-half, lemon juice and chicken. Bring to simmer and cook 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Makes 3 quarts.
I too worked at Chili's in college and almost cried when they discontinued this soup. I added a bit more of the spices and let it sit for a bit to thicken up. Delicious! Thank you HollyLew!