James Craig's Note:
This recipe is in response to Debbie Thorn's request for a black bean soup in the recipes requested forum. The recipe was originally published in the VJJE recipe weekly archives in 2001.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 quarts canned black beans, not drained (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, small dice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1In a medium stock pot, place the olive oil, onion, carrot and bell pepper and saute the vegetables till they are tender.
- 2Bring 1 cup of water to boil, add the bouillon cubes, and allow to dissolve.
- 3Add the bouillon, cooked beans, and remaining ingredients (except cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water) to sauteed vegetables.
- 4Bring mixture to a simmer and cook approximately 15 minutes.
- 5In a blender, puree 1 quart of the soup, and put back into the pot.
- 6In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water.
- 7Add the cornstarch mix to the soup and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- 8Serve with cornbread, white rice, or your favorite side dish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili's Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 765.0
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 41.2 mg
- Sodium 4164.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.0 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 36.3 g