Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is our family's favorite fall/winter meal (and I don't normally like chili). This recipe is adapted from 'Jason's Chililicious' that I found on CZ's blog. In addition to the ingredients listed my secret ingredient is 1/2 a jar of Chili Sauce that I buy from Ten Thousand Villages (a local fair trade little shop ... check for one in your area, they're all over the place). I usually make 2 recipes and freeze half of it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 -2 lime (cut in half and squeeze juice)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I usually buy a rotisserie chicken and use 1/2 the meat)
- 1 dash cayenne or 1 dash hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- lime wedge
- tortilla chips
- In heavy sauce pan, sautee onions in olive oil. Add green chilies. Cook till onions are soft.
- Add garlic and sautee a few more minutes.
- Add dry spices and flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Slowly add chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- Rinse beans and add to pot.
- Add corn, lime juice, cilantro and chicken.
- Add hot sauce or cayenne to taste.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer gently for a few hours.
- Toss in the cheese (sometimes I add more than a cup).
- Add a bit more cilantro and lime juice to taste.
- Serve with more Monterey Jack cheese, lime wedges, cilantro, avacado and tortilla chips.