2 hrs 20 mins
This is our family's favorite fall/winter meal (and I don't normally like chili). This recipe is adapted from 'Jason's Chililicious' that I found on CZ's blog. In addition to the ingredients listed my secret ingredient is 1/2 a jar of Chili Sauce that I buy from Ten Thousand Villages (a local fair trade little shop ... check for one in your area, they're all over the place). I usually make 2 recipes and freeze half of it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 -2 lime (cut in half and squeeze juice)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I usually buy a rotisserie chicken and use 1/2 the meat)
- 1 dash cayenne or 1 dash hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- lime wedge
- tortilla chips
- 1In heavy sauce pan, sautee onions in olive oil. Add green chilies. Cook till onions are soft.
- 2Add garlic and sautee a few more minutes.
- 3Add dry spices and flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- 4Slowly add chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- 5Rinse beans and add to pot.
- 6Add corn, lime juice, cilantro and chicken.
- 7Add hot sauce or cayenne to taste.
- 8Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Simmer gently for a few hours.
- 10Toss in the cheese (sometimes I add more than a cup).
- 11Add a bit more cilantro and lime juice to taste.
- 12Serve with more Monterey Jack cheese, lime wedges, cilantro, avacado and tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chililicioius Chicken Chili (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (633 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 921.3
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 103.8 mg
- Sodium 1832.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.7 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 64.8 g