Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
When yellow squash are at their lowest price this is a good time to try this spicy dish.
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 onion, medium chopped fine
- 4 cups summer squash, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- In iron skillet, saute' onion in drippings until transparent. Add diced squash, stir to coat with fat and cover.
- Cook over medium heat until squash is tender, stirring to prevent scorching. Squash and onion bits will brown lightly.
- Add green chilies to taste, along with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese last and heat just until melted.