1/4 Photos of Chilies Rellenos Casserole
I found 9 RZ recipes for this type dish, but none at all like it & it sounds so good to me! I found it in the "Tasty Holiday Gifts" cookbook SusieQusie spotted at a bookstore in Dallas recently. From their intro: "This spicy Chilies Rellenos Casserole is a great new way to serve eggs at Easter & it's easy to reheat for a delicious brunch dish! The quiche-like casserole features a "crust" of green chilies + a cheesy egg filling & is served w/sour cream & salsa." Since this is a meatless dish, I see spicy grd pork patties as a good side or even some yummy & well-cooked chorizo sausage as a good add to the dish. I would personally make this yr-round if I could, but I rarely see green chilies here & may have to wait for another visit to SQ in Dallas to enjoy it. (Times were not given & have been estimated)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies (peeled, whole, mild & well-drained)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 corn tortillas (5 1/2 in size, cut into sml pieces)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (roughly 8 oz by weight)
- sour cream (to serve as garnish)
- salsa (to serve as garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Slit ea chili lengthwise & spread open. Place in a single layer in a greased 7x11 inch glass baking dish.
- 3In a sml skillet, melt butter over med-heat. Add onion, cook till tender & remove from heat.
- 4In a lrg bowl, combine onion mixture, eggs, sour cream, flour, salt & pepper.
- 5Stir in tortilla pieces + cheese & pour over chilies.
- 6Bake 25-30 min or till a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 7Serve immediately w/sour cream & salsa -- or cool, cover & refrigerate till ready to serve.
- 8TO SERVE AFTER REFRIGERATION: Cover & bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-35 min or till heated through. Serve hot w/sour cream & salsa.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chilies Rellenos Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.5
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 229.9 mg
- Sodium 414.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 16.7 g