From Like Grandma Used To Make by Reader's Digest, c. 1996. This baked casserole is easier (and healthier) than traditional chilies rellenos.
- 4 poblano chiles or 4 anaheim chilies, halved lengthwise
- 4 ounces colby cheese or 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cilantro or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup shredded colby cheese or 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce
- Preheat oven to 450*F. Remove stems, seeds, and veins from pepper. In a medium-size saucepan, bring a large amount of water to a boil. Add peppers and cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Drain peppers and invert onto paper towels. Cut the 4 ounces Colby-Monterey Jack cheese into pieces to fit inside pepper pieces. Place cheese inside pepper pieces. Arrange pepper pieces in a lightly greased 11"x7"x2" baking dish.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, and milk. Whish in the flour, cilantro, baking powder, salt, and cayenne. Pour egg mixture over pepper pieces.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and batter is puffed and golden. Sprinkle the 1/3 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese on top. Serve with the picante sauce.
DH is a HUGE fan of Chile Rellenos. I, however am not a huge fan of all the work that goes into a battered/breaded dish like that. This was a great compromise. I will probably use more cheese next time, though. The kids were not as enthralled by this one, though that is mostly due to the pepper. DD7 ate the middle out of her pepper, but DS3 wouldn't touch it at all. I will definitely be making this again, but next time I won't forget the salsa! Made for Gnome Tag!
This is wonderful! I still prefer the traditional method of making chile rellenos where I blister the peppers in a hot oven and stuff cheese into the whole chile. The next time I make this recipe that is exactly what I'd do! I prefer problanos, and DH anaheims, so I made two of each. Thanks, NELady! Made for PRMR.
Really enjoyed this! I subbed low fat cheeses. The only other change is I microwaved the chiles in chicken broth rather than get out a big pot. Thanks!