Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'm not usually wild about foods coated in batter and fried, but these are VERY good.
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- oil (for frying)
- Drain and rinse the chilies, and cut a slit down the side of each; gently remove seeds& pith inside.
- Stuff each chili with a 1/2-inch square piece of cheese 1-inch shorter than the chili; slightly overlap the cut edges of the chili to hold cheese inside.
- Roll each chili in flour in a shallow pan to coat all over, gently shaking off excess.
- Beat the egg whites into soft peaks.
- Separately beat the yolks with 1 Tbs water plus the flour and salt until thick& creamy.
- Fold the beaten whites into the yolk mixture.
- Heat about 1½ inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Dip the stuffed chilies into the fluffy batter, place them in a saucer, and slide them into the hot oil.
- When the bottoms are golden brown, gently turn, using a spatula and a fork, and cook other side, 3-4 minutes per side.
- The coating will be fluffy.
- Drain on paper towels.
I use fresh chilies that have been roasted and added diced onion because i like onion