Recipe by Caroline Cooks
A papas rellenas WITHOUT a meat filling; using diced chilies to kick it up! Posted for ZWT3.
- 2 lbs mashed potatoes (hot)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (2 ounce) cansof dice green chilies, drained
- 4 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together hot mashed potatoes, eggs, butter and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Set aside and let cool. In a sauce, combine sofrito, tomato sauce, diced chilies, oregano and salt.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cook over low heat, simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Spread a spoonful of potato dough mix in palm of hand.
- Make an indentation in middle and stuff it with some of the chili-tomato mixture. Cover filling with more potato dough.
- Shape into a ball.
- Dust ball lightly with remaining cornstarch.
- Repeat with remaining mixtures.
- Deep fry stuffed potato balls until golden (about 2 minutes).
- Remove and drain on paper towels.