Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Hominy and chicken combine in this chili flavored broth-based soup. Spicy, so hold on to your hat! More chicken can be added if desired. WW points = 4/serving
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can hominy, drained (white hominy)
- Brown chicken over medium-high heat in saucepan.
- Remove chicken from saucepan, keep warm.
- Reheat saucepan to medium heat and saute onion and garlic until onion in translucent.
- Add cooked chicken, chicken broth, oregano, and chili powder and combine. Reduce heat to low cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add hominy cook 15 more minutes.
DH was in heaven when he sat down to a bowl of this soup and a cheese quesadilla. Hominy has such a unique taste and it really worked well with the combination of chicken and seasonings. This soup is very light and has a lot of spicy broth so is perfect for a lunch with a salad or sandwich or as a starter for a mexican meal. This will be a regular at our house. Thanks Brooke the Cook in WI. Made for ZWT5.
This was a GREAT RECIPE, Realizing that the recipe said that more chicken could be added I made some extra chicken, and I did add a little. Granted I like spicy food, I added the chicken to tone it down. It might have been my taste buds.There is good news also, the combo of the oregeno, chili powder, and the garlic cloves, combined with the chicken flavor, and hominy made this one DELICIOUS meal, and I would definately recommend this as a compliment to a chicken dinner, or with a salad. A nice easy to follow recipe with lots of flavor. Made for PRMR tag.