Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Nice looking dish, great flavor. Serve with rice or noodles
- 1 lb prawns, peeled and deveined,reserve the shells
- 1 head garlic, separated and peeled
- 4 dried hot chili peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded,deribbed and cut into 1/4" strips
- 2 scallions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 quart water
- Put the prawn shells in a saucepan with the garlic, chilie peppers, rosemary, fennel and the water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain the poaching liquid and discard the solids and return the liquid to the saucepan.
- Boil rapidly until only about 1 1/2 cups remain about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour in the Sherry and bring liquid to a simmer.
- Add Prawns cook for about 1 minute (prawns will turn pink and look opaque)-- Do not over cook the prawns.
- Remove prawns, keep warm.
- Boil liquid until about 2-3 tbsp remain.
- Add red pepper,cook for 2 minutes.
- Return prawns to pan add scallions and butter.
- Stir until the butter has melted.