Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A wonderful stick-to-the-ribs Tex-Mex recipe from Mr. Food.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained,and chopped (juice reserved)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small skillet, heat oil overm medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer onions to a medium bowl and add kidney beans and chili powder; mix well.
- Transfer to the baking pan.
- Arrange chicken pieces on top of bean mixture, pressing chicken into beans.
- Spoon tomatoes over chicken and beans and add reserved tomato juice.
- Bake about 65 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese, and bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is no longer pink inside.
This was quite good Mark, lots of taste!! Had a little trouble with the timing, it took about 1 1/2 hrs to cook the chicken and the beans, plus the 10 minutes to melt the cheese. But the end result was very tastey. I think another time I might brown the chicken first, to get it started cooking. I had to add some more tomato juice because it was drying out and the chicken was still pink and I'm afraid the beans never did get very soft, maybe it was the brand of beans. In the end the chicken was very tastey, DH finished it off for lunch today.