Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Great chili low on calories and fat but BIG on flavor. If you like cilantro, you should love this chili! Makes 14 1 CUP SERVINGS (You can double up and still be just over 300 Calories!) For dry beans, use just shy of 1 lbs of great northern beans, soak & cook for 6 cups. Freezes well.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 1⁄2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed
- 2 (7 ounce) cans green chilies
- 1 large onion
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dice up your Onion, Green Chilies,Cilantro, and Garlic. Dump in a crockpot.
- Rinse your beans in a strainer and then pour over veggies in crock pot.
- Dump Oregano, Cayenne, and cumin inches.
- Pour Chicken Broth in and give a stir.
- Place Chicken Breasts (frozen or not, if you don't want to simmer as long can be thawed) on top.
- Simmer 5-6 hours. You can take the chicken out at about 5 hours and cube or shred or just break it apart with a utensil while cooking. After it is apart put it back in and stir. I shred it right in the crock pot by moving it around with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in a bowl and dig in!
I was looking for a low fat white chicken chili recipe when I came across this one. Thought ok, sounds easy enough and I decided to try it. The last recipe I made used cream and this one did not but I too am looking at low fat, low calories. Well I have to say it was awesome! What a great flavor it has, and it was eaten up by even the kids who aren't big on beans. I am making it again to take to work for a chili cook off... I think I might just win with this one!