Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Babyelephant
My husband and I both enjoyed this variation of an American classic. I did find that one can of broth was not near enough liquid so I added a 14 1/2 oz. can of tomato sauce. While it wasn't quite spicy enough for my husband's taste I thought it was just right and very good.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add beef; cook until browned.
- Add the next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
- Halve each tortilla and cut into 1/4 inch strips.
- Gently stir into soup; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tortillas are softened.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls; sprinkle with cheddar cheese.