Recipe by Ridgely
This is a real tasty sweet and spicy beanless chili that I tried from Bon Appetit magazine. The recipe was found in the RSVP section as a request from a restaurant in Rochester New York called Dinosaur Bar-B-Que. We loved it and beans could be added easily if you are a bean fan.
Top Review by pandaran
This is one of my go to recipes. It gets rave reviews every time I make it. I made a few small changes to make it my own, but I think it would be just as delicious as is. <br/><br/>I leave out the ground beef and use 1 lb beef kielbasa, sliced into about 1/4" thick semi circles. I change out crushed tomatoes for diced. I cut the brown sugar in half. And I add 2C cooked kidney beans at the end (about a can). Thanks so much for sharing! <br/><br/>I wanted to share the love, so I posted a link to this on my fledgling blog at theexperimentalgarden.blogspot.com/
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb italian sweet sausage, casing removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- hot pepper sauce
- grated monterey jack cheese
- chopped red onion
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 T.
- oil in a large pot over high heat.
- Add beef and sausage; cook until brown, breaking up with spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer meat mixture to bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium high.
- Add remaining oil to pot.
- Add onion, bell pepper, jalapenos and bay leaves.
- Cook until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Return meat mixture to pot.
- Mix in tomatoes and next 7 ingredients.
- Simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in lime juice.
- Season with salt.
- Serve chili in bowls, passing hot sauce, cheese, red onion and sour cream separately.