Recipe by Reggie's Mom
I didn't know what to call this recipe because it is one I have made up. Or maybe I adapted it from something many years ago. This is a nice spicy chili dish that is prepared in one large skillet. Very tasty and good comfort food.
Top Review by bmcnichol
This is good and easy to make. I was a bit confused with the ingredients/directions. I wasn't sure why there were two measurements for water. I used about a cup of water as that seemed like more then enough. The recipe also didn't state what type of canned tomatoes so I used crushed. I also used brown rice as that is what I had in the cupboard. I didn't use the oil to cook my burger, actually I used frozen cooked burger. This reheated well for lunches.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups water
- 1 -2 Oxo beef cube
- chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion and begin browning in large skillet in the oil for a couple of minutes. Add the ground beef and brown.
- While the meat and onions are browning, bring a pot of water to a boil and add the long grain rice. (This is just to pre-cook the rice) Keep on a gentle boil for approximately 15 minutes, drain.
- To the skillet with the browned meat.
- Add the entire can of tomatoes including the juice, breaking up the large pieces. Add the can of corn which has been drained and add the partially cooked rice.
- Add approximately one cup of the beef stock. Season with the chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- You should have a fairly runny mixture at this point. Don't worry, the rice will soak up the liquid as it finishes cooking.
- Cover the skillet and allow to simmer for about 1/2 hour or until the rice is cooked through.
- I like to taste it and add more chili powder to suit my taste.