Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is an excellent vegetarian chili, and even better with meat! Adding the meat will obviously increase the servings. This is not a hot chili (to satisfy my wife and daughters)!
- 2 lbs ground chuck (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Gravy Master
- 1 medium diced zucchini
- 2 cups minced carrots
- 1 medium diced green pepper
- 1 medium diced yellow squash
- 1 (42 ounce) candiced tomatoes, drained,with juice reserved
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained, and mashed smooth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 medium diced hot pepper
- (For optional chili with meat: Saute ground chuck in a large pot until all pink is gone. Put in a sieve to drain and put aside).
- In the same pan, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until onion is soft.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients except for reserved tomato juice.
- (If using meat, add it now).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 45 minutes. It doesn't look like there's enough liquid to come to a boil, but there is more than you think.
- Add tomato juice, while cooking, if needed. If it gets too watery for you, add some dried bread crumbs. Taste and adjust seasoning to your desire.
- Serve with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
- If you can make this a day ahead and reheat it, it's even better.