Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 3⁄4 cups black beans, sorted rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ginger, fresh minced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons thyme, fresh minced or
- 2 lbs lamb bones
- 2 teaspoons thyme, dried crumbled
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded, deveined
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons marjoram, dried, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, fresh ground
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper, cayenne
- 2 large onions, chopped (yellow)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder, ground
- 2 lbs Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups wine, light zinfandel
- FOR BEANS: Soak Beans overnight in 2 qt. water.
- In a large saucepan, bring Beans to a bOil.
- Add lamb bones and bouquet garni and 1 crushed garlic clove.
- Reduce heat and simmer till Beans are tender but not mushy.
- Skim occasionally and add more water if necessary to keep Beans submerged 2 hrs.
- FOR CHILI: Heat 3 T. Oil in large heavy saucepan over moderate heat.
- Add Onions and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cloves garlic, minced, and stir about 3 minutes.
- Transfer Onion and garlic mixture to a plate, using a slotted spoon.
- Add remaining Oil to pan.
- Increase heat to med. high.
- Add lamb and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with spoon, about 6 min.
- Return Onion mixture to pan; add Chili powder, Ginger, thyme, red Chili, marjoram, Peppers and allspice.
- Stir 5 minutes.
- Add Tomatoes ( and half of their liquid, if canned).
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add 3/4 c of Zinfandel.
- Simmer, skimming occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Drain Beans and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Discard the bones and garni.
- Add Beans and remaining Zinfandel to Chili mixture.
- Salt and season as necessary.
- Simmer 30 minutes, adding bean cooking liquid as needed to keep Chili moist (or soupy, as you like it).
- This Chili is best made ahead and allowed to season in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Reheat before serving.