25 hrs 23 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups black beans, sorted rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ginger, fresh minced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons thyme, fresh minced or
- 2 lbs lamb bones
- 2 teaspoons thyme, dried crumbled
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded, deveined
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons marjoram, dried, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper, fresh ground
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, cayenne
- 2 large onions, chopped (yellow)
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 lbs lamb shoulder, ground
- 2 lbs Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/4 cups wine, light zinfandel
- 1FOR BEANS: Soak Beans overnight in 2 qt. water.
- 2In a large saucepan, bring Beans to a bOil.
- 3Add lamb bones and bouquet garni and 1 crushed garlic clove.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer till Beans are tender but not mushy.
- 5Skim occasionally and add more water if necessary to keep Beans submerged 2 hrs.
- 6FOR CHILI: Heat 3 T. Oil in large heavy saucepan over moderate heat.
- 7Add Onions and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 8Add 2 cloves garlic, minced, and stir about 3 minutes.
- 9Transfer Onion and garlic mixture to a plate, using a slotted spoon.
- 10Add remaining Oil to pan.
- 11Increase heat to med. high.
- 12Add lamb and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with spoon, about 6 min.
- 13Return Onion mixture to pan; add Chili powder, Ginger, thyme, red Chili, marjoram, Peppers and allspice.
- 14Stir 5 minutes.
- 15Add Tomatoes ( and half of their liquid, if canned).
- 16Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- 17Add 3/4 c of Zinfandel.
- 18Simmer, skimming occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- 19Drain Beans and reserve the cooking liquid.
- 20Discard the bones and garni.
- 21Add Beans and remaining Zinfandel to Chili mixture.
- 22Salt and season as necessary.
- 23Simmer 30 minutes, adding bean cooking liquid as needed to keep Chili moist (or soupy, as you like it).
- 24This Chili is best made ahead and allowed to season in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- 25Reheat before serving.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili with Lamb and Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (565 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.3
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 61.4 mg
- Sodium 102.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 19.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: