Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Tasty chili topped with corn muffin dumplings makes this recipe a easily put together mid-week meal. Even my son who is my best critic when it comes to chili gave this a thumb-up.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup oats
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet heat vegetable oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté just a few minutes to the flavors to blend.
- Add ground beef and cooked until browned. Add oats and incorporate well.
- Add beans, spaghetti sauce, chicken broth and seasonings; simmer 20 minutes.
- Spoon chili into a sprayed 13 x 9 baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Spoon corn muffin batter (prepared according to package directions), like dumplings over the top of the casserole. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until corn bread dumplings test done.