Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I must give credit where credit is due. This recipe is a spin on ratherbeswimin' recipe for Chunky Beef Chili. We love it, the seasonings are spot on and remain unchanged. I use ground beef, Rotel tomatoes & beans. I am submitting for my own personal pleasure. The longer you simmer it, the better. If it gets too thick, add a little more beef stock. This is easily doubled. If you increase this recipe, be careful with the cayenne pepper, it's the only thing that adds considerable heat. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drain, rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray Dutch oven with nonstick spray. Brown meat in a Dutch oven over med-high heat. I like to leave it chunky but you can break up into any size pieces you like.
- Remove meat, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add chili powder to Dutch oven; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce; cook 5 minutes.
- Add cooked beef back into Dutch oven; stir in beef broth and the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 60 - 90 minutes until desired consistency.
- Serving suggestions:
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese or pepper jack, crispy tortillas or oyster crackers
- Serve with corn bread.