1/1 Photo of Chili With Beef
My Private Note
pot bef ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs red kidney beans (dried)
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (mashed and chopped)
- 1 sweet pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (thinly sliced) (optional)
- 1 serrano chili pepper (thinly sliced) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin (freshly ground)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes (I use 1 or 2 quarts of canned tomatoes)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can vegetable juice (V-8)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 chili pepper (for garnish)
- 1Rinse beans carefully. (I use quick soak method). Add 16 cups water and bring to boil.
- 2Remove from heat and cover for one hour.
- 3Put beans back over fire and simmer slowly.
- 4Cook ground beef (small amounts at a time so it does not get watery).
- 5When beef is slightly brown, remove to another container with a slotted spoon.
- 6Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the fat, and saute onions, garlic, and peppers.
- 7Return beef to pot, add spices, and stir, cooking slowly over low heat to get flavor into beef.
- 8Add tomatoes, paste, juice, salt and sugar.
- 9Add to beans, and simmer gently for about 1 to 2 hours or until done.
- 10Serve with grated cheese, diced onions, sour cream, and hot sauce. (I use Mom's Exceptionally Hot Tabasco Sauce ).
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili With Beef
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 28
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.5
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.0 mg
- Sodium 184.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 10.0 g