Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
Sometimes people like meat. Usually I fix Vegetarian Chili , but occasionally I fix a beefy version, and slightly differently.
- 2 lbs red kidney beans (dried)
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 4 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (mashed and chopped)
- 1 sweet pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (thinly sliced) (optional)
- 1 serrano chili pepper (thinly sliced) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin (freshly ground)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes (I use 1 or 2 quarts of canned tomatoes)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can vegetable juice (V-8)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 chili pepper (for garnish)
- Rinse beans carefully. (I use quick soak method). Add 16 cups water and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and cover for one hour.
- Put beans back over fire and simmer slowly.
- Cook ground beef (small amounts at a time so it does not get watery).
- When beef is slightly brown, remove to another container with a slotted spoon.
- Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the fat, and saute onions, garlic, and peppers.
- Return beef to pot, add spices, and stir, cooking slowly over low heat to get flavor into beef.
- Add tomatoes, paste, juice, salt and sugar.
- Add to beans, and simmer gently for about 1 to 2 hours or until done.
- Serve with grated cheese, diced onions, sour cream, and hot sauce. (I use Recipe #187480 ).