Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Similar to "Mom's Chili-Crockpot Version" this chili replaces ground beef with ground turkey, tomato paste with diced tomatoes, and is a lower fat alternative. Great with grated low fat cheese and fat free sour cream on top. Also, hot chili sauce to taste can be stirred into the crockpot to make this recipe hotter.
- Cook beans, oregano, onion, garlic and 1 Tbs. chili powder in six cups water for 2 hours. Salt to taste after 1 hour.
- Toward end of bean cooking time, brown meat and garlic powder. Drain. Return to pan. Sprinkle with flour. (If flour sticks to pan, use a little water from beans to scrape sides.) Brown till combined.
- Set aside.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (don't drain), chili powder, basil, and oregano to crock pot and stir till blended.
- Add meat/flour mixture to crock pot.
- Add beans to crock pot. (Reserve water).
- Heat on "high" for one hour, then reduce to low and cook for at least one hour more. Add water from beans to chili if mixture becomes too thick.
- Prep time does not include soaking beans, but does include bean cooking time.