Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This recipe gives you the choice of ground meats or cubed meats For the ground meat type, after browning the ground beef, just drain it, toss the stick of butter in, and continue on with the recipe.The butter makes the chili, believe me. The beans are up to you as to which type and how many you want. I use a combination. Honestly, this whole recipe consists of brown the meat, and just dump the other ingredients in! That's it! Times will vary between the cubed meats and the ground meats.You can put the bean mixture in the pan that you cooked the ground meats in . It's up to you to put the types of beans that you like in this.Times will vary as well as quantity. If you are going to make the single batch, I recommend that you use the little cans of beans, I think they are probably 4-6 oz., and that way you can use pintos, black, kidney or a combo of them.
Top Review by ckthecerealkiller
Sounds a lot like my wife's chili which is very good. She doesn't use any black beans though. Warning though! Alcohol (even beer) takes an hour or more to cook out (maybe several hours depending on amount, altitude, and if you want 0.0%). So cook carefully!
To make the Bean Mixture
- 4 (6 ounce) cans pinto beans (or a combination) or 4 (6 ounce) cans black beans (or a combination) or 4 (6 ounce) cans kidney beans (or a combination)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (can use other colors, or a combo)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, can use more
- 2 -4 tablespoons Mexican seasoning (or more)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree (I use Progresso)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (use more or less, it will control the heat, so remember -you can always add more of whatever you use)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder (I use Gebhardt's, just make sure it's a good quality brand)
- 4 -8 ounces thick & chunky salsa
- 3 -6 fluid ounces beer
To make using the cubed meat
- 3⁄4 lb top sirloin steak, cubed
- 1⁄4 lb pork, cubed (I use pork butt, great flavor and fairly inexpensive)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
To make using the ground meat
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the bean mixture:.
- Combine all of the bean ingredients in medium saucepan.
- To make using the cubed meat:.
- Saute meat in the butter til all pink is gone .
- Add the meat to the bean mixture, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beer and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- To make using the the ground meat:.
- Saute the ground meat til all pink is gone. Drain meat, place back in pot.
- Add stick of butter, add this to the bean mixture, cover and let simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the beer.
- Continue to simmer 5 more minutes.
- 9/14/2014 Note: McCormick's has discontinued making their Mexican seasoning. I just use Taco Bell's packet of Taco Seasoning. Just be sure to use a good quality seasoning.