1/1 Photo of Chili With a Twist
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe gives you the choice of ground meats or cubed meats For the ground meat type, after browning the ground beef, just drain it, toss the stick of butter in, and continue on with the recipe.The butter makes the chili, believe me. The beans are up to you as to which type and how many you want. I use a combination. Honestly, this whole recipe consists of brown the meat, and just dump the other ingredients in! That's it! Times will vary between the cubed meats and the ground meats.You can put the bean mixture in the pan that you cooked the ground meats in . It's up to you to put the types of beans that you like in this.Times will vary as well as quantity. If you are going to make the single batch, I recommend that you use the little cans of beans, I think they are probably 4-6 oz., and that way you can use pintos, black, kidney or a combo of them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
To make the Bean Mixture
- 4 (6 ounce) cans pinto beans (or a combination) or 4 (6 ounce) cans black beans (or a combination) or 4 (6 ounce) cans kidney beans (or a combination)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (can use other colors, or a combo)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, can use more
- 2 -4 tablespoons Mexican seasoning (or more)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree (I use Progresso)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (use more or less, it will control the heat, so remember -you can always add more of whatever you use)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (to taste)
- 1/3 cup chili powder (I use Gebhardt's, just make sure it's a good quality brand)
- 4 -8 ounces thick & chunky salsa
- 3 -6 fluid ounces beer
To make using the cubed meat
- 3/4 lb top sirloin steak, cubed
- 1/4 lb pork, cubed (I use pork butt, great flavor and fairly inexpensive)
- 1/2 cup butter
To make using the ground meat
- 1To make the bean mixture:.
- 2Combine all of the bean ingredients in medium saucepan.
- 3To make using the cubed meat:.
- 4Saute meat in the butter til all pink is gone .
- 5Add the meat to the bean mixture, cover and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add beer and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 7To make using the the ground meat:.
- 8Saute the ground meat til all pink is gone. Drain meat, place back in pot.
- 9Add stick of butter, add this to the bean mixture, cover and let simmer for 40 minutes.
- 10Add the beer.
- 11Continue to simmer 5 more minutes.
- 129/14/2014 Note: McCormick's has discontinued making their Mexican seasoning. I just use Taco Bell's packet of Taco Seasoning. Just be sure to use a good quality seasoning.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili With a Twist
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 726.1
- Calories from Fat 424
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 149.4 mg
- Sodium 738.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 33.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: