Recipe by kwlabear
I love barley, and I wanted to see what would happen if you added it to chili. The barley gave it a really nice texture. This can be made as hot or mild as you wish! Experiment with the beans, I originally made this with cranberry beans.
- 2 cups dried beans
- 1 cup barley
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon pizza seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 quart chopped no-salt-added whole tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ingredients in slow cooker with the exception of the tomatoes.
- Cook 6 hours on high, check ocassionally and add water as needed.
- When beans are done, add tomatoes and cook 1 hour til heated through.
- Don't add tomatoes with the first ingredients. Tomatoes will cause beans to not cook well if they are dried.