Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
I came up with this recipe after tweaking many different recipes. The base recipe I worked with was Marty Hugo's Chili #11149, which is a great recipe. The twist in this recipe is some brown sugar and lime juice added at the end. The sugar adds just a touch of sweetness and the lime brightens the chili up.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces lager beer
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 medium chipotle chile, chopped (comes in can in adobe sauce)
- 5 medium minced jalapenos, slices from jar of hot jalepeno slices
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 10 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice of, medium
- Saute ground beef, onions, and garlic until done.
- Drain then put beef mixture in large pot.
- Add remaining ingredients except for brown sugar and lime.
- Simmer for one hour.
- Taste chili and adjust spices if necessary.
- Continue to simmer for one and a half hours.
- Add brown sugar and lime juice.
- Simmer for a half an hour.
- *Feel free to adjust peppers as you like. The amount I use definitely adds some kick to the chili.
- **You can also make this in a crockpot. Let it cook on low for 7-8 hours.