Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From my Rival cookbook. I would serve this over rice and pass the cornbread.
- 2 lbs pork, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Taste for seasoning before serving.
I don't eat pork so I make this with a beef roast, I have made it for over six years and this recipe has never been anything but amazing! Use the leftover meat shred it to make enchiladas or tacos, this recipe is a family favorite and very easy to make!
The very first time I had Chili Verde was at a La Comida. The sauce was red not the traditional green but I fell in love with it and for years tried to recreate that recipe. One day I picked up my crock pot cooking recipe book and there it was. My friends and family love this recipe. I use a few more cloves (3-5) and I add a small yellow onion chopped and omit the green bell pepper sometime replacing it with a half a chopped jalapeno but I have had it exactly as recipe is written. It is delicious every time and I never have left overs. Now I double it whenever I make it.