Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
There's something about the combo of these two fast food favorites. However, when you're scraping up pennies to afford rent, eating out isn't an option. This dish is affordable and great because you can make two and freeze one. Also, you can make this a Chili dog and tots casserole by adding bite-sized hot dog pieces to the chili and serving with buns.
Top Review by Red Chef Mama
I know Amy will not see this, but I wanted to rate it anyways. This was a wonderful dish we all loved it, it does taste like a fast food favorite of ours, but easier on the budget. Amy, I am sorry I never got to meet you, I think it is wonderful that you live on through your cooking. I will continue rating all of your recipes that I try. Thanks for this, I will be making it again!
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili without beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (32 ounce) bag tater tots
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the beef and drain.
- Stir in the chili and heat through.
- Pour into 2 8" sprayed square baking dishes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and top with the tater tots.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to three months.
- Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
- To use the frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hrs or until heated through.