1 hr 45 mins
Amy Duchesne's Note:
My husband's family has a different way of eating tacos and burritos than my family, and I like the change! It really gives you something different than your average taco/burrito/fajita and is economical and tasty at the same time. Someone rated this as being too sweet even though their isn't any added sugar in this recipe, they said because of the tomato juice...which is surprising to me, but you can try using tomato sauce instead if you too think tomato juice is sweet. Serving suggestions: load your plate or burrito with fresh veggies, cheese and optional sour cream and guacamole and ripped up pieces of tortilla and ladle over the sauce and eat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 1/2 liter) can tomato juice or 1 liter tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes with spices)
- 1 (275 g) can red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 (275 g) can of mixed beans (drained)
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed and diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1In a large pot, ground the beef over medium low heat till all the pink is gone, (use oil if you need to, to prevent sticking).
- 2Season with salt, pepper.
- 3Add diced onions and garlic and sauté till translucent.
- 4Add chili powder, beans, tomato juice and diced tomatoes; mix well.
- 5Bring to a boil over medium-lo, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- 6Take 1 or 2 cups of the mixture and puree it. This will give a thicker sauce and it will give a nice full bodied taste to the sauce as well.
- 7Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 8Serve hot and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chili Taco / Burrito / Fajita Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 13
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.5
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 23.7 mg
- Sodium 479.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: