Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a cross between chili and vegetable stew. I love to cook this on a cold winter night. It's hearty and very flavorful
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large onions
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 medium potatoes, diced (I leave the skins on)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce (from the grocery store - by the ketchup)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans (choose 2 different from black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, or black-eyed peas)
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute until golden, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add beef; brown meat, breaking it up as it cooks, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, and cayenne.
- Mix in tomatoes, broth, potatoes, carrots, peppers, and chili sauce.
- Cover and simmer till vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir in beans, cook 30 minutes more.